Pacific Loon, Scoters, Am. Golden Plover, LTD's

Here are a couple of sighting messages that would be appropriate for the Birdnet (hotline).  Thanks for reporting these nice birds!

*****

East Canyon Reservoir
Pacific Loon, White-winged and Surf Scoters, etc.

We visited East Canyon Reservoir (Morgan Co.) this afternoon and saw several nice birds. Besides the 50 or so Common Loons there was one Pacific Loon (intermediate plumage between breeding and basic).

Amongst the many ducks were 3 Surf Scoters, 1 White-winged Scoter, 5 male Barrow's Goldeneye, numerous Common Goldeneye, Hooded and Common Mergansers, Ring-necked Ducks, Lesser Scaups, Buffleheads, etc. On the mudflats at the south end of the reservoir were a Baird's Sandpiper, a Red-necked Phalarope, an American Golden Plover, 2 Greater Yellowlegs, and Bonaparte's Gulls. An American Tree Sparrow was in the bushes along the road just south of the reservoir. Additionally, a Golden Eagle and 3 Bald Eagles were seen around the reservoir.

On the south end of East Canyon, Little Dell Reservoir had a few birds, most notably a Horned Grebe.

Joel and Kathy Beyer

*****
Antelope Island Causeway
American Golden Plover and Long-tailed Ducks

I birded Davis Co. today.  There were very few birds on the Antelope Causeway, but there was a American Golden Plover in with about 10 Killdeer  and 7 Long Tailed Ducks.  There were two males that had their long taliles.  They were the prettiest long Tails I have ever seen in Utah.  Farmington Bay was packed with ducks.  They are back to pllumages that can be distinguished so they were fun to sort.   Hugh Fergeson found a Ross' Goose and I was later able to refind it.  I saw 45 species and two year birds which is pretty good for November.

Good Birding,
Dana Green