Wash Co. Birds -- No Heermann's Gull

Hello,
I've had several inquiries today regarding the status of the Heermann's Gull
at the Southgate GC (found by Marilyn Davis yesterday, 10/03/03).  These
gulls have a reputation of being hard vagrants to chase, and unfortunately
this one appears to be living up to that reputation.

The last Heermann's Gull sighting (that I'm aware of --- despite efforts by
many observers today) came last night from Steve Summers.... "I got there at
5:45p. No one else was there, but the gull was. I took my first photo at
5:49p, at 5:59p the bird soared high into the sky and disappeared flying up
the Santa Clara R. Charlie Sheard had just arrived and missed the bird as he
walked from his car and the gull disappeared."

This makes me feel bad for Charlie every time I read it, Sorry Charlie.  I
think that has happened to all of us a time or two.

I also went by the Red Hills Golf Course early this morning before work. The
wind was blowing at Hurricane levels so I did not have any luck relocating
the Vireo Larry spotted.  There was a Common Moorhen on the pond.

Also there is a Pectoral Sandpiper at the SR-9 Sewer Ponds this evening and
an adult Bald Eagle at Quail Creek State Park.

Best Regards,

Rick Fridell
Hurricane UT