Cedar City

Hi All

Thanks to those who reported their weekend birds September is a great
time to bird Utah. I was in Cedar City this weekend visiting my kids
that are going to school there. I was able to get in a couple of hours
of birding along the canyon walking trail east of town.

My target bird every time I go to Cedar are Pinyon Jays but they always
elude me. For those of you familiar with this area where is the best
place to see Pinyon Jays in or around Cedar?

As soon as I got out of the car I heard the buzzing of Blue Gray Gnat
Catchers they were every where. I have never had a bird react like they
did to my Northern Pygmy Owl imitation. They were in a frenzy, I thought
they were going to land right on me. I saw White Crowned Sparrows, Scrub
Jays, a very large flock of Stellers Jays on the ridge of one of the
tributary canyons moving along the ridge single file one right after
another, this was very fun to watch. I heard several Canyon Wrens that
believe they should be heard and not seen, I saw Spotted Towhees, Turkey
Vultures, Ravens and Crows, Flickers, Ruby Crowned Kinglets, Dark Eyed
Juncos, and my only new lifer was a Plumbeous Vireo. A short but fun
trip.

I used to be an avid fisherman and still go as often as I can but
usually I Prefer to bird. I think one of the reasons aside from how fun,
entertaining and educational it is, I have never been skunked birding
even when I only have a few minutes to bird. What a great hobby.

Happy Birding Steve