Fw: Come to court on Oct. 8 and Update on Utah Lake Boundary Issue

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Wayne Martinson" <wmart.dsawyer@aros.net>
To: "Jeff Salt" <jeffsalt@greatsaltlakeaudubon.org>, "Sean Phelan" <seandphelan@yahoo.com>, "'Cullen Battle'" <cbattle@fabianlaw.com>, "Joro Walker" <utah@lawfund.org>, "Alan Matheson" <amatheson@tu.org>, "Jeff McCreary" <jmccreary@ducks.org>, "Chris Montague" <cmontague@tnc.org>, "Genevieve Atwood" <genevieveatwood@attbi.com>, "Amanda Eyre" <aeyre@tnc.org>, "Sam Rushforth" <sam.rushforth@uvsc.edu>, "Reed Stone" <sage2222@juno.com>, "Paul Dremann" <pdremann@xmission.com>, "Allan Daly" <allan.daly@attbi.com>, "Daren Tuttle" <DAREN_TUTTLE@BD.COM>, <maunsel3616@msn.com>, "Joel Peterson" <jpeterson@tnc.org>, "Darrell Mensel" <dmensel@xmission.com>, <wbodie@pheasantsforever.org>, "Bart Miller (E-mail)" <bmiller@lawfund.org>, <fishonsfw@aol.com>, "TWITCHELL, Marlyn" <MTWITCHELL@audubon.org>, "Lynn de Freitas" <ldefreitas@earthlink.net>, "Scot Chipman" <scotchipman@yahoo.com>, "Glenn Foreman" <glenn@mudbuddy.com>, "Robin Tuck" <robin@utahnature.com>, "Dennis Shirley" <dshirley@freeport.com>, <milton@utahbirds.org>, "Charles Hanson" <charleshanson1@msn.com>, "Lynn Tennefoss" <ltennefoss@audubon.org>, <dniven@audubon.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:33:25 -0600
Subject: Come to court on Oct. 8 and Update on Utah Lake Boundary Issue

Dear folks interested in the Utah Lake Boundary Issue Settlement,

The last general update to people interested in the Utah Lake Boundary issue was on August 8.  There have definitely been some things that have transpired since then.

But first, everyone who is concerned that the sovereign lands of Utah Lake be protected is encouraged to be present at the courtroom on Oct 8.  The location is at the federal courthouse at 350 South Main in SLC.  It will be in the Judge Kimball courtroom starting in the morning.  I plan to send out another reminder with the specific time the hearing will start on Oct. 2.  Although no public displays are allowed in the courtroom, it would definitely be helpful to have the public present to show they are concerned about protecting the sovereign lands of Utah Lake.

Now for a few other updates.

1.  Below is a memo from Sean Phelan with Western Resource Advocates (fromerly Utah Land and Water Fund) regarding the pleading that Cullen Battle and Joro Walker filed on Sept. 2, 2003 regarding Utah Lake.  I am sending the memo from Sean as well as the entire pleading in a separate e-mail.  I think you will find the pleading very valuable, informative and persuasive!

2.  The state also filed on Sept. 2, 2003.  Their document is titled, "Plaintiff's Memorandum Opposing Defendant Landowner's First Motion for Entry of Final Judgments.? The document is 6 pages long and ends with the following paragraph, ?Accordingly, the 4481 Stipulation language about "continuous" historic use is a nullity.  The exception negates the general provision  so badly as to undercut sufficient support for a judgment quieting title, under any stretch of the "historic use" test.  Historic use is trumped by  historic inundation."  The State's affidavit had good information on water levels including, "The monthly lake level information prior to statehood never shows the elevation of the lake as low as 4481."

3.  The Utah County Surveyor, Gary Ratcliffe also filed an affidavit on Sept. 2, 2003.  Exhibit A of this affidavit provides detailed maps showing each proposed claim out into the Lake as compared to the existing tax parcel.  And to quote part of the affidavit, "Each parcel described in the proposed judgments goes well beyond and is much larger than the corresponding landowner's existing tax parcel.  You would not know this from reading the proposed judgments alone, since they do not show the size and position of the new proposed parcel in relation to the existing tax parcel."

4.  The press conference regarding Utah Lake on July 22 helped other people get concerned with and involved in this issue.  For example, Charles Hansen from Payson encouraged people in a newspaper editorial to come to the Oct. 8 court hearing.  The editorial is titled, ?Stand up for Utah Lake.?  The last paragraph says, ?What we can and should do is to make sure we pack the courtroom on Oct. 8 in support of keeping public land and public water public.  Or we can do nothing and say good bye to Utah Lake."

Let me know if you have any other concerns/questions/comments.

And thanks very much for your interest.

            Wayne Martinson
            Utah Important Bird Areas Coordinator
            National Audubon Society