WW Crossbill/No. Pygmy Owl

September 18, 2003

After seeing Tony Jones' report and the reports from others before his, I
went looking for the White-winged Crossbill today at Silver Lake/Brighton.
I had two sightings.  The first sighting was west of the Silver Lake
boardwalk, past the bridge, in the top of the spruce trees, and with several
Red Crossbills.  I got a better look later while parked near a bed &
breakfast place with a large "for sale" sign on the north part of the
Brighton Ski Resort loop road.  The bird was seen south in a tree top after
which it flew off in a southeast direction.  I was surprised to see it alone
the second time since the field guides say they are usually with a group of
crossbills. The white in its wings were distinctive both while sitting and
flying.

A Northern Pygmy Owl responded to my owl imitation, but was never seen on
the Desolation Trail in Mill Creek Canyon.

Garr Ranch/Antelope Island yielded nothing spectacular--Sanderlings, Baird's
Sandpipers, Townsend's Warblers, Wilson's Warblers, etc.

The Spruce Campground in the same canyon as Brighton had Red-breasted
Nuthatches, Mountain Chickadees, Juncos, etc.

Alton Thygerson