American Bittern

September 12, 2003

Needing an American Bittern for my 2003 list, my wife and I on the spur of
the moment this afternoon drove to Ouray Wildlife Refuge.

Wanting to get back to Provo, we walked the roads around the canal in the
Leota Bottoms section for an hour before flushing an American Bittern which
was my target bird.  Wanting to get back to Provo, we birded the refuge only
until the bittern was seen (1 hour) and saw 32 species.  A stiff wind kept
birds reclusive.

Incidentally, West Nile Virus has been reported on the refuge and the refuge
sign recommends an insect repellent with DEET, long sleeve shirts, and long
pants.