Dickcissel

Today at Lytle ranch there was a first winter Dickcissel ( I'm not sure if
it was male or female, it did have more of a yellow wash on the breast than
Sibley shows for first winter female.) The odd thing about the bird was it
didn't have any rectrices. But it still seemed to fly pretty well. It must
of had a recent close call with an Accipiter? The bird was on the East side
of the orchard feeding on the seeds of the tall grass  with a group of Laz
Buntings. I watched it for about 5 minutes flying up and landing near the
tops of the grass stalks and bringing them to the ground. Maybe the lack of
a tail will keep it around for a few days?

There was also a Male Indigo Bunting in the orchard and a Cassin's Vireo
near the first pond.

Larry Tripp