Big Day at Bear River

On Saturday Alton Thygerson and I went to Bear River Refuge with Mark Stackhouse in an attempt to see many of the plovers and sandpipers (shorebirds) we had not seen this year, and also to see what was happening with the migration, as previously reported.  We were happily rewarded with a view of many birds.  It looked like a very large gathering a phalaropes.  But, fortunately, with a lot of searching, we were rewarded with sightings of other birds.  Both Alton and I were able to add a number of birds to our year's list.

All three of us agreed that the bird(s) of the day was a pair of Stilt Sandpipers, still in breeding plumage.  We saw them with a small group of Dowitchers on the east side of the auto tour, just north of the first bridge (75 paces) , as you again start north on the final lap of the auto tour route.  Lovely birds, and a life bird for both of us.

We did the auto tour in the morning, then took an interlude to check out Willard Bay north of Harold Crane, then went back for another try in the afternoon.  We finished the day (at least I did) with a review of the Antelope Island Causeway.  A list of our sightings (not in order of birds seen), from the "Plovers and Sandpipers" section of Field Checklist of the Birds of Utah (1998), included the following birds:

Snowy Plover (adult and young)
Semipalmated Plover
Killdeer
Black-necked Stilt
American Avocet
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Solitary Sandpiper
Willet
Spotted Sandpiper
Marbled Godwit
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Western Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Baird's Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Stilt Sandpiper
Long-billed Dowitcher
Wilson's Phalarope
Red-necked Phalarope (AIC)

We saw a total of 20 species from this category.  In addition, at Bear River we saw several Common Tern and Black Tern, and at AIC some Bonaparte's Gull that had already changed to winter plumage.

This was a very long, but rewarding and enjoyable day of birding.  Thanks Mark for your expertise and hospitality.

Alton and Glenn