Shorebird Workshop

Anyone planning a trip to the midwest in a couple of weeks may be
interested in participating in the Shorebird Workshop held at Big Stone
National Wildlife Refuge, Odessa, Minnesota.  The Workshop is free to the
public and takes place Friday August 1 through 12 noon on Sunday Aug. 3rd.
The workshop focuses on shorebird identification tips and techniques in
both a classroom and field trip setting.  Other presenters discuss
shorebird management and conservation.   Field trips are to Big Stone
National Wildlife Refuge in western Minnesota and prairie potholes in
eastern South Dakota.  I will be presenting and comparing/contrasting birds
from Bear River to Big Stone (my last station).  Birds likely encountered
include: Least and Semipalmated Sandpipers, Pectoral Sandpipers,
Short-billed Dowitcher, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Buff-breasted
Sandpipers, Semi-palmated Plover and others.

 Again, this is free to the public but you do need to pre-register so they
know how many people will be attending.  For more information or to
register contact Carole Gerber at 320/273-2191 or by e:mail at
carole_gerber@fws.gov.

Bridget Olson
Wildlife Biologist
Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge