Love That UT 83!

Many thanks to Jack Binch for performing his owl dance (reported in an earlier birdtalk posting) today.  His evocation produced three Burrowing Owls for me on the way to the Golden Spike NHS (UT 83 accessible from I-15 exit 368).  Carol and Nicki Davis's and Jack's recent reports of great birds along this road enticed me to get out there again today.  I could have birded this road until dark, but I finally ran out of food and had to come home.

In addition to the owls, I saw other great birds worthy of reporting on birdnet:  a Peregrine Falcon .2 miles east of the UT 83 and 102 junction, on the double telephone poles that run parallel to and south of 83.  The falcon sat on the cross bar connecting two poles.  Oddly, a Northern Harrier hovered in the air at the falcon's height until the falcon dropped off the perch and flew in the direction of Bear River MBR.  The harrier then gave chase, and quickly fell behind and ate the Peregrine's dust.  While I watched the Peregrine I became aware of the heavy "chip" call note of several Common Yellowthroats; they responded to pishing and I saw about four as they popped up out of the reeds.  The last uncommon sighting was 14 Marbled Godwits in a field north of 4000N, and between 6800W and 7600W in Corinne.  This was definitely a mix of juveniles and adults by the bill colors, and one of the juveniles was very buffy around the head and neck.  The early shorebird migration continues.

I saw several other interesting things that are not as uncommon, but since the word 'brevity' is not in my vocabulary, I'll tell you about them too.  I saw a young Swainson's Hawk whose head was so light it was almost completely white.  The bird wore nearly the classic worn light juvenile plumage shown in Sibley's.  I watched a Western Kingbird nest from about 30 feet away and saw both parents stuff unbelievably large bugs into the gapes of their three chicks.  One of the parents briefly brooded the youngsters and absolutely flattened their heads upon settling down on the babes.  I could see the orange gapes closed into flat half-inch lines under the parent's undertail coverts.  I saw a startlingly gorgeous Cattle Egret with such pure white and soft orange plumage and beak that I was reminded of an orange creamsicle.  I saw Western and Eastern Kingbirds on an electric line only 25 feet from each other.  I stopped under the Eastern Kingbird and studied it closely.  For the first time, I saw a teenie-tiny hook on the end of the bird's beak.  None of my field guides depict this hook.  Last, and sadly, I stopped at four specimens of flattened fauna to find dead Short-eared Owls.  Once, only the wings remained.  The other three carcasses also included the feet, feathered down to the talons.  This owl's behavoir of coursing low over marshes and grasslands increases its mortality rate near roadways, and I was dismayed to find so many that suffered due to conflict with vehicles.

Kris