Green Heron & Yellow-breasted Chat

Yesterday I went birding along the Jordan River around 630 in the morning. I was on the west side of the river when I heard this bird on the east side. It sounded like a cross between a thrasher and a blackbird. So I went quickly to the other side of the river and just got to where I could see the river when a Green Heron flew up from the tall grass along the river bank. It was a adult and flew north along the river. It was the first one in a couple of years that I have seen. Then I heard the bird that I came to see and it was now on the west side of the river. This morning I was hoping to hear it again and sure enough when I got to the marsh that has the boardwalk in it, I heard the sound. I followed it though the grass and finally in a small willow tree thicket I saw a male Yellow-breasted Chat singing, if you could call it that, it's heart out. I'm glad that I had the determination to find it because it was one of my most wanted Lifers. To get to where it is you can go on 3300 South (Salt Lake Co.) to 1100 West. Turn north and follow it to the Oxbow Trailhead by the Oxbow Jail. Walk over the footbridge and along the asphalt trail to where you can see Parley's Creek Outlet. You can see a dirt trail going off to the west. Follow it and I saw it before I got to the boardwalk. If is is as loud as it was you will hear it before you see it.
Jack Holley, 955-7818