American Redstart

I birded the BOR today--5/26/03--and saw a male American Redstart. I was
birding the dirt road below the dam. Directions to my sighting: walk
downstream, around the metal gate and a little farther downstream looking
for a weathered 1 inch square marking stick sort of bent over on the left
side of the road. If you get to the area where it looks like a spillway on
the river creating lots of white water, you've gone just a few feet too
far. Turn around and come back.

I saw the bird as I worked my way downstream and again as I worked my way
back to my car. It was about noon when I was watching the bird. He opened
his mouth and sang but I couldn't hear the song--too much noise from the
water in the river.

I, too, saw bobolinks in the north fields and a couple of sandhill cranes
in the usual area near the reservoir. I saw a couple of flycatchers at the
BOR but couldn't identify them.

Sharon Gander
ssgander@softcom.net