LEE KAY PONDS - LEAST TERN, RED-NECKED PHALOROPES, GREAT BKUE HERONS

On my return home from Antelope Island today (Thurs. May 22), I stopped by the Lee Kay Ponds about 7 p.m.

I (and another observer) saw a single Least Tern flying briefly over the West Pond.

Shortly thereafter I spotted a flock of ~15 Red-necked Phararopes, also on West Pond.  This may be a first, but I suspect they won't stay long.  Every time a gun fired on the Hunter Ed Center to the south, the birds would take off and wheel around over the Pond.  Finally they would settle down again, close-packed like a huddle.  A gun would fire and off they'd go again.  Finally they disappeared to the east.

I also checked the Great Blue Heron nest in West Pond and was able to spot the 3 chicks Bob Walters reported yesterday.  These are not small chicks.  I would guess they might be 3 weeks old.

Jim McIntyre