LEAST TERN(S)

I saw one Least Tern briefly at 3 p.m. on Sunday afternoon on the beach at the west end of West Pond.  Then it disappeared, probably flushed by two hunters who were training their dog nearby on the south side of the Pond.  I could not respot it.

Good news.  The GBH was back on her nest.  We won't know for awhile if her extended absence yesterday, caused by the approach of 2 small boys and a dog in their boat, resulted in the loss of her eggs.

I respectfully suggest that in situations such as this we, as adult naturalists, have a responsibility to try to educate young children about birds' natural fear of humans and how causing an extended absence of a mother bird from her nest might prevent her eggs from hatching.  I don't know the exact circumstances of what happened yesterday or what action Bruce Robinson may have taken..  The boys may well have been within their rights to be on the pond as the gap in the fence at West Pond seems to be intended to be a boat launch.  (How did they get their boat there?)

If we speak nicely to such children and try to explain what a wonderful thing is happening at the GBH nest, they may take an active interest themselves and try to protect the nest.  What a great educational experience that could be.

I am forwarding this note to Bob Walters in the hope that DWR may put up a warning sign near the GBH nest, asking people to stay well clear.  Better yet, perhaps DWR could close off the fence until the heron chicks have fledged.

Jim McIntyre