Birds at Bear River MBR

From: Julie VanMoorhem
Date: April 06, 2003 at 22:18:
Subject: Bear River MBR, 4-6-

Hi Y'all,
Pomera Fronce and I birded at Bear River MBR today and it was great-even with all the snow squalls!! Spring is definitely here.

We saw about 25 Long-billed Curlews on the road into the refuge. A Short-eared Owl gave us up close looks as it "clapped" its way over the fields looking for morsels to eat. Franklin's Gulls were present in large numbers and many showed a bright, rosy pink chest. Of herons and egrets there were four--Black-crowned, Snowy, Great-blue, and Great; swallows--Barn, Tree (abundant), and Cliff; shorebirds--Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Willets, Long-billed Dowitchers, Black-necked Stilts, Avocets and Killdeer; grebes--Pied-billed, Eared, Horned, Western, and Clark's; and lots of pelicans, cormorants, and the usual asso rtment of ducks.

All in all a great day to be out birding! Is this the greatest hobby or what?!!!

Good birding y'all,
Julie Van Moorhem

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com