Trumpeter Swans at Pineview Reservoir in Huntsville

The three Trumpeter Swans Keith Evans and Jack Rensel saw at Pineview
Reservoir last week were still there yesterday afternoon around 1230.  I
saw them at the southeast end where the South Fork of the Ogden River
empties into the reservoir.  The birds are sporting unfashionable green
turtleneck alpha-numeric collars and one each hot pink underwing.  I also
saw Common Merganser, Canada Geese, Green-Winged Teal, Mallard, Common
Goldeneye, Widgeon, Northern Pintail, Northern Shoveler, one lone female
Hooded Merganser, one lone male Cinnamon Teal, and Bald Eagles in all
plumages.  To reach the open water, take I-15 to exit 347 (12th Street and
UT-39) in Ogden, east through Ogden Canyon and along the south shore of
Pineview Reservoir.  You could also take I-84 east through Weber Canyon,
exit 92 to Trapper's Loop that runs east of Snowbasin Ski Area, and turn
right on UT-39 at the stop sign.  After passing Anderson Cove campground
on your left, watch for Jefferson Hunt campground in about 1/2 mile, also
a left turn-off.  Park in the small lot and walk in past the bridge over
the South Fork.  Leave the road and walk east over the reed beds 1/2-3/4
mile; the open water will be visible at a good distance.

You can also access the same area from the north by continuing on UT-39 as
it curves left (north) to Huntsville.  Turn left on 100 South into
Huntsville at the same intersection UT-39 turns right to Monte Cristo.
In Huntsville, turn left on 7100 East, which dead-ends at the reservior.

This option offers a shorter walking distance, but be aware you'll be
looking south and the light might not be favorable for birding.