Trip South

We went to St George this past weekend for a family event, but took some time to go birding too. I found 4 lifers for me Phainopepla, Aberts Towhee, Verdin and Black Scoter. Beanie found 7 for her life list including Verdin, Aberts Towhee, Say's Phoebe, Great Tailed Grackle, Northern Mockingbird, Phainopepla, and Black Scoter.

One stop we made that was quite interesting was a small lake at the Mills, Levan exit #236.This is about 18 miles North of Scipio on the East of I 15 and plainly visible from the freeway. We took the exit and drove over to the lake and had lunch there and birded. This place was loaded with waterfowl.
We saw 19 species there including a Tundra Swan, Canvas Back, Common and Barrows Goldeneye and Pintails.

We had set the Phainopepla and Road runner as target birds, but missed the road runner. In spite of that it was a great weekend of birding.

James Lofthouse
Lofthouse