Farmington Bay gulls

There was a nice assortment of gulls at Farmington Bay WMA today (3/2).  Along with numerous Herring Gulls and several Thayer's Gulls, the first winter Glaucous-winged Gull was still present, and there were three Glaucous Gulls (one adult and two first winter).  All were seen at or between the first and second bridges along the west dike, on both sides.  With many Bald Eagles flying about, the gulls were moving around quite frequently, on both sides of the dike.  We counted over 125 Bald Eagles, with 90 sitting in the dead trees and snags along the north dike.  Quite a site!   Also present were hundreds of Tundra Swans, and about 100 each of Pelicans and Avocets.

Also in the area, a Rough-legged Hawk was on Glover Lane near the west end, and a Merlin was seen at the east end of Glover Lane near the I-15 off-ramp.

Further afield, a Lewis' Woodpecker was seen in Pleasant View, at the north end of 900 West, near Pole Patch Estates.  It was on the fifth telephone pole south of the Pole Patch Estates gated entrance.  This is the third time this year we've seen the woodpecker on this particular pole.

Joel and Kathy Beyer