Trip to St. George and Washington County

This past week Robin Tuck and I decided to go to St. George and Washington County for a couple of days--Wednesday and Thursday.  However, when we learned that Dennis Shirley would be there on Thursday and Friday, we extended our stay until Friday evening.  Our trip resulted in a viewing of 83 different species of birds, some of which were life birds.  The highlights of our trip is below, followed with the list of birds seen.

We left Provo on Wednesday morning, a little after 6 a.m.  Our first stop was Leeds, at about 10 .am.   When we arrived in Leeds, we looked for the home of Charlie Sheard, so we could try to see the Anna's Hummingbird that was coming to his feeder, and had been previously reported and seen by others.  As we tried to locate his home we were fortunately able to intercept him on the hill toward his home, as he was on his way to the post office.  Afterwards he was going to bird the new Sand Hollow Reservoir.   We first stopped at Charlie's house, where we were greeted by a lovely bird-friendly setting.  Here we saw feeding Lesser and American Goldfinch, House Finch, and Dark-eyed Junco.  We joined forces with Charlie and went to Quail Creek Reservoir, Stratton Pond, and Sand Hollow Reservoir.  Quail Creek is being repaired was very low because the water had been pumped to Sand Hollow through a connecting pipeline.  At Stratton Pond we saw Redheads, Hooded Merganser, Bufflehead, and the Greater and Lesser Scaup.  We were able to compare these last two species side by side and note the differences.  At Sand Hollow we saw at least three White-winged Scoter and some Ruddy Ducks.  We saw two birds fly off the nearby mountain into the lowlands near the reservoir.  Charlie and I identified them as immature Northern Shrike, but Robin is withholding judgment.

Later, after Charlie's departure we tried for the Eurasian Collared, White-winged, and Inca Doves previously reported in Washington City and the Golden-crowned Sparrow at Red Rock Campground.  We had no success in seeing these birds at this time.

Our next stop was the Washington Fields, and in the field with lots of water we were rewarded with the sightings of numerous ducks, as well as a lone Snow Goose with Northern Pintail, meandering through the field in search of food.  A Northern Harrier was in the background coursing the field.  The surprise of our stop there was seeing a flock of about 25 Common Snipe settle into the low growth right in front of us.  It was amazing how they disappeared out of sight in such low growth.  We identified them as we saw a few heads pop up occasionally.  We also saw a pair of Cinnamon Teal.  On this day we saw a total of 16 species of ducks and geese, which contributed heavily to our trip total of 19 species.  Earlier we spotted a Ferruginous Hawk with a lovely Prairie Falcon circling nearby.

To end the day we saw 3 Common Merganser hens on the pond of the Tonaquint Nature Center, and at the Southgate Golf Course we spotted the Great Egret in the cattails.  We ended the day with a count of 49 species.

At 8 a.m. on Thursday morning we met Dennis at Quail Creek Reservoir.  He had already spotted 4 Common Loon and Double-crested Cormorant, which added to our totals.  We then back-tracked to Stratton Pond and Sand Hollow, so Dennis could add the birds previously seen to his list.  We also were able to see a pair of Canvasback.

We then went to the Washington City and the Washington Fields, where we again struck out on the doves and Burrowing Owl.  Some birds we saw were a Say's Phoebe, Loggerhead Shrike, Verdin, Brown Creeper, Bewick's Wren, and an Abert's Towhee.  Just as I told Dennis that I needed to see a Brown Creeper, Robin magically spotted one right in front of us!  Dennis and Robin earlier saw an Orange-crowned Warbler.  On the way to Red Rock Campground, we saw a lovely sing Crissal Thrasher.

We stopped for lunch at a local Burger King and immediately saw a Great-tailed Grackle.

After a brief time at Red Rock Campground we spotted the Golden-crowned Sparrow, which was with the White-crowned Sparrows.  However, it was very skittish.  It is best viewed from a location on the upper road, to the left of the second camp host's trailer.  (The large, black poodle is friendly.)

We thought our highlight bird of the day would be the G-c Sparrow.  But, later in the day, after waiting for 1:15 hours in a cold wind, and near the end of the day, we finally saw the male Anna's Hummingbird as it came to Charlie's hummingbird feeder.  It showed up at 6:15 p.m.  What a beautiful bird!!!  The gorget was very large and beautiful.  It was in shades from brilliant red near its beak, to a fading light pink on the edges.  Lovely, lovely.  This is why we bird, right?  Undoubtedly our bird of the day, and probably of the trip.  Thank you Charlie for your hospitality and for finally delivering a great bird!.  We recorded a total of about 22 species for this day, which brought our total for the trip to 71.

We awoke early Friday morning with lots of anticipation.  This was our day for Red Hills Golf Course, Welcome Springs and Lyttle Ranch!  We were joined by the ever hospitable Charlie Sheard.  At Red Hills we saw Pied-billed Grebe, Black Phoebe, Northern Mockingbird, and fortunately, the Common Moorhen in the cattails in its pond.

At, or near Welcome Springs we saw a Mountain Bluebird, Western Bluebird, Ladder-backed Woodpecker, a Cooper's Hawk, a lone Juniper Titmouse, and Dennis heard some Bushtits.

At Lyttle Ranch we were greeted by the Phainopepla and saw a Greater Roadrunner singing from the top of a Hill.  We heard Gambel's Quail and later saw Great Blue Heron and a large flock of female (only) Red-winged Blackbird at the small pond further up the canyon.

On the way out, after seven stops, Dennis and Charlie finally found a pair of Cactus Wren, which we all enjoyed.  Then, at the same location we saw a pair of Ladder-backed Woodpecker.  We were able to see the brilliant red head of the male.  The Canyon Wren were in an area that was on the south side of the road to Lyttle Ranch, 1.3 miles from the yellow cattle guard.  They came to their call.  We ended the day in the Washington Fields, with two pair of Burrowing Owl at the Old Stake Farm, and one Prairie Phase Merlin in a distant tree on the same road.  We had great views of both.  We had a total of 13 species for the day.  Depending on who saw what bird, we had a trip total of 84 species.

Our list for the trip included the following birds:

Common Loon
Pied-billed Grebe
Eared Grebe
Western Grebe