birdnet

I thought you might enjoy reading  about my trip to Veracruz. This was my submission for Salt Lake Birders' newsletter.

The River of Raptors
by Letitia Lussier

I had read of a place, somewhere in the jungles of mainland Mexico, which  people in the birding community referred to as the "River of Raptors".  Naturally, I was intrigued.  And as I soon found out, the metaphor was entirely appropriate. The river truly exists. It is a jaw-dropping experience in every sense of the word. But let me back up a bit.
In late September,  I joined a fun group led by Mark Stackhouse with co-leader David Wheeler  for their  tour of Veracruz, Mexico.  Larene Wyss and I shared a room and we were joined in the hotel by our dearly missed Alan Godwin, Alan's parents, and another couple.
During the tour we covered a wide variety of habitats including  the sandy beaches of the gulf, dry desert scrub, coastal jungles,  and cloud forest. The shade-grown coffee plantations and the high mountain slopes  we visited reminded me of  my trip to Peru and the Andes mountains.
On the beaches, we were lucky enough to watch  Aplomado Falcons hunting above us. Below the falcons were Double-stripped Thick-knees resting in the open vegetation. They appeared almost comical with their big wide eyes and bodies resting very erect on backward bent knees.
The jungles offered us 4 varieties of Trogons and numerous hummingbirds. One specialty we were fortunate enough to see was the Black-crested Coquette. This was much to the envy of the other birders in the area.
Scrubby areas were filled with scolding wrens in a variety of species. The prize was an awesome look at the Sumicrast's Wren. This Wren is endemic only to a very small and localized area.
We were also envied by others for seeing the elusive Solitary Eagle. However,  I must admit my favorite sighting  was a pair of Black and White Owls. Their beautiful striped mantles and glowing red eyes were wonderful.
The highlight of the trip however, was standing on top of a hotel in Cardel with the hawk counters of Pronatura a local conservation group. It was an unbelievable experience  watching the kettles of hawks form with 3-4 HUNDRED birds stretching up to a mile high.  On a good day, you could watch several of these kettles  forming simultaneously.
The kettles were actually comprised of a wide variety of birds. Approximately 20 species of hawks and vultures migrate through the area. The season starts in August with Mississippi Kites and by mid-September,  Broad-winged Hawks number in the thousands, while October begins with the migration of Swainson's hawks.  Other flocks drift by as well including Wood Storks, Am. Wht Pelicans, Anhingas and White-faced Ibis to name a few.
As the kettles reached high into the sky the birds at the top began to peel off like the skin of an orange. A steady,  well defined stream of soaring birds drifted south forming the world famous "River of Raptors". The current of air was taking them far away off into the distance. It was very exciting.
On our biggest day of the migration we counted approximately 25,000 raptors. The final count for the season posted on their website was 6.5 million!  It's an incredible phenomena to witness.
Overall, we found 350 species of birds a record for the Veracruz  trip. Yours truly ticked off about 70 new lifers.
This "River of Raptors" event is truly one of the 7 wonders of the birdwatching world. A must see.