Great Day Birding With UCBers!

On Saturday met Milton Moody, Merrill Webb, Alton Thygerson, Reed Stone, and two members of the BYU Ornithology Class, Connie and Carina, at Rock Canyon, where we birded for a couple of hours.  While there we saw a Steller's Jay, Canyon Wren (2), Golden Eagle (2) flying overhead, Brown Creeper, several illusive Chukar, Western Scrub-Jay and Black-billed Magpie (2) high on the mountain to the south.  The Chukar were located were about 100 yds. past the 2nd gate on the north slope of the canyon near the large rock slide.  They were very difficult to see, although we heard them calling for quite a while.  Finally we saw them fly and the folks with sharp eyes located them for the rest of us.

Reed, Milt and Merrill had to leave, so for Alton, Connie, Carina and I the next stop was Milt's feeder in Indian Hills, where we were immediately greeted by a flock of about a dozen beautiful California Quail feeding on the ground and in the bushes underneath his feeders.  While there we also a Pine Siskin, House Finch, House Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco, and an American Goldfinch.  We got an excellent view of the Pine Siskin when it landed on a spent small sun flower just in front of the kitchen window.  On a nearby neighbor's tree we saw an American Robin, along with a few more California Quail.

Our next stop was Camelot Woods.  On the way, at PSCIPCO, we saw several Northern Flicker and many European Starling.

At Camelot Woods we saw several Song Sparrow in the cattails, Black-capped Chickadee, and a lone Ruby-crowned Kinglet.  We ran into Larene Wyss, Eric, and KC, who were coming back from the lake.  They announced they had not been able to locate the Swamp Sparrow, but had seen the Winter Wren.  Fortunately we were again able to locate it.  What an active little bird!  All got good looks.  Before we left we again saw many Starlings and a lone Red-tailed Hawk.

We all went to Payson and after seeing a Barn Owl and American Kestrel, we left Larene, Eric and KC at Wendy's.  We stopped to get some first aid supplies to repair some wounds, then continued to Santiquin and west through Goshen and Eureka, to the Tintic Mining District. Near the Warm Springs area, just before Goshen, Carina spotted a Northern Harrier.  In the Tintic Mining area we were fortunate to get a some very good looks at a flock of about a 12-15 Evening Grosbeak  feeding on a juniper tree on the western part of the road.  Along the way we also saw several Common Raven flying in the distance along the way.

[There will be no expanded comments about an encounter with vandals, whom were reported to the proper authorities.  Good choice, since we later determined they had rifles.]

On to Vernon in Tooele County, to see the Great Horned Owl--NOT.  But, we got a great look at a Rough-legged Hawk and a nearby very large flock of Red-winged Blackbird.

Further north at Faust, at the junction of the road to Cedar Valley and Fairfield, we immediately stop at the residence right after the turn (on the right) and found the Great Horned Owl sitting on south side of one of the trees.  We had a great view for some time, as the owl continued its rest.  We also had a nice conversation with the owners of the house and thanked them for allowing us to view "their" owl.  At the nearby wetlands we saw two Great Blue Heron and some wintering ducks.

Traveling further east we stopped at Cedar Fort, where before turning south we saw an adult Bald Eagle in a tree to the north of the road.  After turning south past the museum, we were again greeted by a great view of another adult Bald Eagle that was sitting in a large tree to the east, about 3-4 feet from a beautiful Ferruginous Hawk (not a word was being exchanged, or so it seemed).

We also saw some Song Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco, and White-crowned Sparrow in a bush near the road.

This was a long, but great, day where we were rewarded with good company and a count of 33 species seen.

Glenn