Acorn Woodpecker

I went and birded Garfield and Wayne Counties today. I got wonderful looks at the Acron Woodpecker that Dennis Shirley found. It is still in the dead Ponderosa in the meadow between mile marker 94 and 93. It flys across the road to another dead Ponderosa. It was an awesome sight. Such a great looking bird. Well worth the drive. I watched him for about an hour. There was a Starling harrasing him the whole time. I also saw well over 100 Pinyon Jays between Wayne and Piute Counties. Also saw Stellars Jay, Clark's Nutcrackers, Scrub Jays, Ravens and over 100 American Crows near the town of Bicknell. Also there was some waterfowl near Bicknell. Canada Geese, Goldeneye, Green Winged Teal, Mallards and some Coots, also there was some Ring Necked Ducks and Common Mergansers near Boulder. Also plenty of Bald Eagles along the trip. NO NUTHATCHES. I spent a lot of time hiking up on Boulder Mtn. I never saw a Nuthatch. Also at the campground in Capitol Reef there were tons and tons of Robins. I was sorting through them for a Varied Thrush, but only found a Townsend Solitaire. It is possible there could be there one though. There are so many. I spent an hour trying to sort through them. I hiked up the Fremont River and it was dead. NO birds at all. It was a wonderful day non the less. NO one to be seen anywhere. I had the place to myself. The birds were just great fun to watch.

Do you Yahoo!?