Farmington Bay Birding

Greetings!

The birding at Mueller Park in Bountiful and the Kaysville Ponds was slow today.  There were several American Crows in the area of 2500 South and Orchard Drive in Bountiful.  There was also little activity at Antelope Island - several Common Goldeneye, a few Eared Grebes and Chukars, a flock of American Pipits and a Loggerhead Shrike.

Things were drastically different at Farmington Bay.  I happened upon Bill Fenimore of the Layton Wild Bird Center who was leading a "behind the gates" tour and he invited me to join their caravan.  The numbers of birds along the west dike was incredible - a nice mix of Northern Pintails and Shovelers, Ruddy Ducks and my first Canvasbacks of the season.  At the end of the dike was a lone White-faced Ibis.  Highlight birds behind the gates for me were Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs and the previously reported Great Egret.  Interesting birds for January and a wonderful tour with Bill.

Pomera