Flicker (yellow-shafted), C. Loon

January 25, 2003

The Orem Water Treatment Plant is closed on Saturdays but I accessed the
large pond behind the water treatment plant at the end of Business Park
Drive (exit 272 off of I-15 and go west).  At the end of the drive I walked
the dirt road and trail which comes out behind the water treatment plant.
The previously reported COMMON LOON reported by K.C. Child and the Beyers is
still there.

Also in the area was a YELLOW-SHAFTED form the NORTHERN FLICKER.  While
clinging to a tree trunk, the bright yellow undertail was very obvious
(this race is rare in the west during the winter).