Re: Utah County birds

Hello everyone,

I joined the birdnet list a couple days ago and it's amazing to read
of everyone's birding adventures. I'm truly a novice at birding;
although I can tell a hawk from a robin, that's about it.

I've seen a pair of red-tailed hawks at Camelot Woods. I've seen them
both in December and one again on Friday. Each time has been around
dusk.  I'd like to look for the horned owl there. When is a good time
to find him? Is it good to look for owls at night? I thought it would
be a good "excuse" to go there and do some stargazing and look for the
owl. Camelot is such a wonderful place. They might close it because of
a number of episodes of vandalism last summer/fall. I always try to
pick up papers and do something nice for this special place.

Also, I've seen a large dark hawk of some kind near the 1600 North on
ramp (west side) on Friday afternoon and today (Monday) about 2:30 in
the afternoon. Has anyone else seen it? And do you know what kind of
bird it might be? (It's hard to look it up because I'm the one
driving!)
thank you,
Linda Butler