GC Sparrow, Moorhen, etc.

January 18-20, 2003

I was fortunate to have two excellent Washington County birders, Rick
Fridell and Larry Tripp, show me four of my target birds--Common Moorhen at
the Red Hills Golf Course, Golden-crowned Sparrow at Red Cliffs Recreation
Area (Leeds area), White-winged Scoter at Sand Hollow Reservoir, and
Eurasian Collared Doves in Washington City.  With such people as Rick and
Larry willing to help and this hotline, birding becomes even more enjoyable.

Quail Lake, Sand Hollow Reservoir, Stratten's Pond, and South Gate Golf
Course Pond provided most of the wintering ducks.

A pleasant surprise on the return trip to Provo was getting off I-15 and
going into Zion National Park on the Kolob Canyons road.  A ranger at the
visitor center said only Ravens, Steller's Jay, Western Scrub Jay, and
Dark-eyed Juncos were to be seen.  She was right about them, but also seen
were WESTERN BLUEBIRDS, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, CASSIN'S FINCH (female,
appearing lost among the Mtn. Chickadees), and MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES.  These
were all seen at the Kolob Canyons Viewpoint (top parking lot at the end of
the road).  Stopping at viewpoints along the road found only the Jays,
Mountain Chickadees, and Dark-eyed Juncos.

Another off-Interstate 15 excursion was to Minersville State Park (19 miles
west of Beaver).  The reservoir was frozen over and no waterfowl were seen
except for an estimated 200 SNOW GEESE sitting on the ice.

For the holiday weekend, a total of 74 species were seen.

Alton Thygerson