Dove Slam Dunk

Greetings.

Mr. Merrill Webb returned to his roots this weekend and gave this birder a
holler. Said he needed two birds to make 275 for the year and could I help
him find an Inca Dove and a Burrowing Owl. The Burrowing Owl was a slam dunk
I was sure (he says as he jinxes himself) as I have a cache of them. The
Inca Dove would be a bit harder.

To make a long story short, we got the B-Owl and a fascinating find it was.
They are curious little creatures. But add to it a Western Screech-Owl all
content in his little cavity of a broken limb in an old pioneer Cottonwood
in Washington City. Thanks Merrill.

We then went to the area in Washington City where I had seen the Collared
and White-winged Doves. But it appears we were too early - nothing, so we
went every place imaginable to find an Inca Dove. No luck. By now it was
late in the afternoon - 4:30pm. So we returned to the location of prior
sightings. There were two Eurasian Collared-Doves on the high tension lines.
We stopped at "the" tree and saw five forms. We got out and there before us
materialized 7 White-winged Doves sitting as pretty as you please. While
watching them, two Rock Doves flew through the field of view, with several
others to follow. We then walked a little ways down the street and as I
watched an R-C Kinglet, Merrill was sure he saw something fly into a massed
Mulberry and Pine. "I'm sure it's an Inca Dove". Don't ever doubt Merrill.
It turned out to be two Inca Doves. And this time we only had three people
confront us with, "What are you doing?!" But we explained... and there were
no white jackets offered.

Yes, we're still missing the most common of our doves. But I was lucky
enough to have them at my feeder when I returned home late in the evening.
Tonight there were 53 at the feeder. My best night has had 85 at the
feeder... and they're all Mourning Doves.

So there they are: Rock Dove, White-winged Dove, Mourning Dove, Inca Dove
and Eurasian Collared-Dove. As for Common and Ruddy Ground Doves, has anyone
ever seen any within the state boundaries of Utah? And if so, where? Or any
of the many different Genera and Species of doves for that matter that exist
in the continental US?

Some of the other birds seen: Loggerheaded Shrike, Merlin and Prairie
Falcon.

Enjoy the chase.

Dixie Willie
Utah's "Dixie"