RE: Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 22:17:40 -0600

Hello Everyone,

THIS IS A HOAX!!!!!

Do not delete the file jdbgmgr.exe from your hard drive (Windows/system).  While this is not a critical file for your system, it is used for running some Java applets.
See the following links for more information and how to restore this program if you have already deleted it  http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html  and http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99436.htm

Good luck,

Rick Fridell
Hurricane, UT
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-birdnet@utahbirds.org [mailto:owner-birdnet@utahbirds.org]On Behalf Of gary grubb
Sent: Monday, October 07, 2002 10:22 PM
To: Dave Albano
Subject: [birdnet] Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 22:17:40 -0600

This doesn't appear to be a hoax.  I found the subject virus in my C drive, and deleted it.  But, it may very well have been passed on to each of you unbeknownst to me...as it was passed on to me.  Please follow the instructions below to locate and rid your system of a potential problem.

Gary Grubb

To everyone listed in my address book:

>I just received a message from a friend who's address
>book had been infected by a virus that was passed on
>to me - and everyone in my address book. After
>following the instructions, I found the virus indeed
>was residing in my C drive.
>
>I have followed the easy directions and deleted it,
>but it has probably been passed on to everyone in my
>address book. I am very sorry about this, but please
>follow the instructions below and it should get rid of
>the virus. (It did for me).
>
>Apparently the virus lies dormant for 14 days before
>it does its nasty work, but I wouldn't want to take
>the chance on that. Below is the message, relayed
>exactly as I received it tonight.
>
>"The virus, called jdbgmgr.exe, is not detected by
>Norton or McAfee anti-virus systems. The virus sits
>quietly for 14 days before damaging the system. It is
>sent automatically by messenger and by the Address
>Book, whether or not you sent e-mails to your
>contacts.
>
>Here is how to check for the virus and how to get rid
>of it.
>
>YOU MUST DO THIS:
>
>1. Go to Start; Go to the Find or Search option.
>
>2. In the Files/Folder option, write the name
>jdbgmgr.exe
>
>3. Be sure you search your C drive and any other
>devices that you may have.
>
>4. Click "find now"
>
>5. The virus has a teddy bear icon with the name
>jdbgmgr.exe - DO NOT OPEN IT !!!!!!!
>
>6. Go to edit. Choose "Select All" to highlight the
>file without opening it.
>
>7. Now go to File and select Delete. (even if it says
>it's a program file).  It will go into your recycle
>bin.
>
>8. Go to Recycle Bin and delete it there as well.
>

>"IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS, YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE
>PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK SO THEY CAN
ERADICATE IT