Com Tern, RB Grosbeak, WT Sparrow

Hi Everyone.
Me and KC went out to Great Basin NP this weekend. We took the long way out and stopped at Gunnison Bend Res, Clear Lake WMA, Kaufman Ranch, Minersville Res, Wah Wah Ranch, and Pruess Lake.

Gunnison Bend Reservoir 10/4/02  Millard County

Co loon
Cl Grebe
We Grebe
Ea Grebe
AW Pelican
DC Cormorant
Am Avocet
BN Stilt
RB Gull
COMMON TERN- Very good looks of the bird in flight with obvious dark carpal bar. A lifer for KC
Fo Tern
Am Coot
Mallard
GH Owl
B Kingfisher
N Flicker
To Solitaire
Brn Swallow
Bnk Swallow
RW Blackbird
BB Magpie
WC Sparrow
E Starling
Ho Sparrow

Clear Lake WMA 10/4/02  Millard County

AW Pelican- 50
Am Avocet
Gr Yellowlegs
Western Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Dowitcher-  at least some where long billed.  Probably all of them?
C Goose
Mallard
BLUE-WINGED TEAL
Am Wigeon
No Pintail
Gadwall
For Tern
RN Pheasant H
Marsh Wren H
No Harrier
Am Pipit
Brn Swallow
Loggerhead Shrike
RW Blackbird
Sage Thrasher

Kaufman Ranch 10/4/02  Millard County

This was our first time to Kaufman Ranch. The owner tied up his killer dogs and let us walk around the property. There were LOTS of birds but nothing real exciting. Tons of Yellow-rumped Warblers, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, and Several Coopers Hawks. It must of been peak migration for these three species because they became the theme of our trip. They were everywere.

PB Grebe
Cattle Egret
Can Goose
Osprey
Coopers Hawk
No Flicker
RN Sapsucker
Am Coot
Mo Dove
Empid sp?
E Starling
To Solitaire
Hermit Thrush
RC Kinglet
W Tanager
DE Junco
WC Sparrow
Linc Sparrow
Brown Creeper

-------------------------------
Minersville Reseivoir 10/4/02

Ruddy Duck
Am Coot

--------------------------------------
Wah Wah Ranch  10/4/02  Beaver County

I had never herd of this place before but saw it on the UtahBirds web site under places to bird. We went down the ranch road where we saw YR Warblers, RC Kinglets and at least 4 Coopers hawks. A couple ranchers asked us what we where looking for (We were loking for birds) then told us we should go through the gate and up the bank to the pond. "There are lots of birds and ducks up there" they said. Boy where they right. That place was hopping. Even though there were several Coopers Hawks, a Harrier and a RT Hawk zipping around up there.
Wood ducks and BW Teal took off out of the pond as soon as our heads cleared the hill and warblers were flying all over. Most noteworthy species were Rose-breasted Grosbeak and White-throated Sparrow.

BW Teal
WOOD DUCK- male and female
Ruddy Duck
RT Hawk
Coop Hawk
No Harrier
Brn Swallow
ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK- Imm male. Very close long look. 15-20 feet away.
lots of red under wings.
Com Yellowthroat- several hawking insects from the cattails
Wilson's Warbler
OC Warbler
YR Warbler
RC Kinglet
Hermit Thrush
WHITE-THROATED SPARROW- first winter.  Lifer for KC
WC Sparrow
Lin Sparrow

Great Basin NP  4/5/02 NEVADA

This was our first time to this park. Very Beautiful.

Coop Hawk
Go Eagle
RT Hawk
No Flicker