American Bittern

I've received several inquiries about the specific location of the American
bittern.  I did not realize that it is so rare in Utah county, which made me go
back to my book to really check out other possibilities, just in case.  I only
saw the upper third of it and it was facing me (although it was fairly close)
and so I assumed that the vertical striping and the obvious shape must be that
of a bittern.  I see now that an immature Black-crowned Night Heron is almost
surely what it was, especially as I remember distinctly that it had a red eye.
I have seen lots of Night-herons, but not at this time of year.  This is why
this email list is so great.  Thanks for your interest.  I am now one level
higher towards my goal of "expert birder".