Visit to Garr Ranch on Tuesday, 8/27/02

Went to Garr Ranch today and met Jack Torrey and Pomera Fronce.  Jack was there before us and was kind to show us the resident Long-eared Owl.  It was sitting low in a Russian Olive, almost hidden, except for the upper part of its body, at the eastern edge of the spring area.  You had to view it from the fence-line in the area south of the spring.

We also saw the female American Redstart flitting around in the trees on the southwest corner of the trees in the spring area, along with many Wilson's Warblers.

We looked for the Northern Waterthrush, that Jack said he saw earlier in the morning, to no avail.  He reported seeing it where it was seen last year, in the spring water drainage on the north side of the trees--which is where Pomera saw it earlier (last week).

We saw a few Townsend's Warblers in the trees on the eastern edge of the trees in the spring area, and as we were leaving--feeding in the grass on the south-eastern side of the lawn area.  It was in this area that the park personnel saw Grasshopper Sparrows last week.  But, we did not see any.

In the spring area Pomera and I also saw a vireo which had a strong eye stripe and a brown eye.  The closest we could come to putting a name to it was a juvenile Red-eyed Vireo. It was also quite yellowish in the underparts and especially the undertail coverts. Any comments?

Saw quite a few Cordilleran Flycatchers in an around the springs, also in the orchard area.

Glenn