WBS Southshore

Waterbird survey for 26 August 2002 6:30-10:00.  South shore (east of SaltAir, west of Airport - general vicinity of 10200 West and I-80) approximate 5 mile stretch.

Bob Huntington, Mike Schantz, Dave Hill, and Ann Neville

Eared Grebe 			4 (although there were thousands on the water far away)
American Bittern			1
Black-crowned night heron	4
White-faced Ibis			4
Canada Goose			6
Northern Pintail			3
Gadwall				18
Snowy Plover			112
Black-necked Stilt		8
American Avocet			4,308
Willet				3
Marbled godwit			1
Spotted Sandpiper			1
Wilson's Phalarope		9
California Gull			4,832
Franklin gull			958
Gull sp.				10,930
Forster's Tern			1
Duck sp.				30
Peeps					5

skunk					1

I spoke with John (WBS John - keeper of the survey flame!) today - he's had over 500 snowy plovers at one time on the shoreline southwest of Farmington Bay and 100's at Locomotive Springs (I hope that's what he said).

I also ran into Bryant from Antelope Island out at the ISSR.  He said that with the lake so low, there is a lot of 4-wheeler trespass and possible hunting on Antelope coming from the south side (from the south beach through Garr Ranch).  He asks that we keep an eye out and report any illegal access we see.  No dirt bikes or ATV are allowed on Antelope Island.

All the best birding,
Ann Neville
Wetland Manager
HSEQ - ISSR