[Fwd: Re: another]

Chuck LaRue sends the following report from Navajo Mountain:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: another
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 07:38:27 -0700
From: "Chuck and Sarah LaRue" <ringtail@flagstaff.az.us>
To: "Mark Stackhouse" <westwings@sisna.com>

Mark,
I carried a pack back up Navajo Mountain on Thursday and spent that
afternoon and Friday morning (yesterday) birding up there.  There were all
of the usual suspects with the best being three Hermit Warblers on Thursday
(22 Aug 2002) and one yesterday (23 August 2002).  The Thursday birds
consisted of an adult male and two immature females.  I am going on the
assumption that Friday's immature female was one of the two seen on
Thursday.  All were closely seen and all had pure Hermit traits.  I have
only seen one hybrid..a bird at Cow Springs Lake in September 1996.  There
were quite a few Black-throated Grays in the spruce-fir and ponderosa
forests.  I didn't see any Zone-taileds but again spent too little time out
on the points.  Seemingly a bit odd were a number of poorwills flushed in
the spruce-fir....3-5 birds were involved and for the life of me I can't
figure what they are doing up there at 10300ft...have you ever seen them
that high in Utah?  There were lots of Pinyon Jays flying around the
uppermost slopes.  All together about 48 species were seen.   That is sure a
neat place. I hope to get back up two or three more times this fall: one
each in early, mid and late September.