Uintas-Mirror Lake Highway

I went up to the Uintas today with a friend that was fishing. So I brought along the binoculars. I didn't see anything great, but did see some fun birds. First off at Lilly Lake there was a pair of Pine Grosbeaks alongside the road and lake. Also walking over to Teapot Lake reavealed some Ospreys and nest. In the campground of Lilly Lake was a Clark's Nutcracker. No sign of a Gray Jay. Which was my target bird. Also there was a Rufous Hummer at the hummingbird feeder at the camphosts trailor. No Calliope though.  Alnong side the lake I saw a possible flyover of a Gray Jay, but no where near a good look to call it a Gray Jay. I then went up to Mirror Lake and walked the trail all the way around the lake. No Gray Jay, just more Clark's Nutcrackers everywhere. Also there were some Spotted Sandpipers, Killdeer, and California Gull around as well. Some Pine Siskens, chickadees, and a huge mixed flock of birds, but didn't have my binos handy. Think that I may of seen a Golden Crowned Kinglet in the bunch, but it moved to quickly. It was a beautiful day, even though I didn't see a Gray Jay. One of these days they will stop hiding from me. But that is what makes birding so much fun, and the fact that the birds are so fun to watch.

KC Childs

Do You Yahoo!?