Green-tailed Towhee caught by a snake! [Kelley Holtman]

Dear Birders:

  I just saw a green-tailed towhee flailing about near my backyard pond.  Upon closer inspection a snake had it's jaws clamped around the bird's abdomen!  I couldn't believe it!  First thing I looked for was a rattler at the end of the snake's tail and there was none.  It's skin looked like the snakes I had seen in my yard (dark brown w/o any distinct markings) and always thought they were harmless grass snakes.  Do 'harmless grass snakes' eat birds and should I fear them?  It was about 18" long and 1.5" in diameter.  I got a glimpse of it's head before it drug it's prey into the bushes and it looked like it bulged at the sides, almost diamond shaped?  Maybe it was because it's jaws were wide open?

  I tried to free the bird to no avail and I think I was too late anyway.  They were gone when I returned with the camera...

Kelley Holtman
Park City, Utah