UCB field trip/ Great Egret

The Utah County Birders headed out to Eastern Tooele County for our field
trip. We also tried Manning Canyon in the Oquirrh Mountains on the Utah
County side for Pinyon Jays, but no luck for these birds. We saw a total
of 51 birds between the two cars. There may have been more, but that was
my count. The best bird of the day was a Great Egret. This was seen on the
south end of the James Walter Fitzgerald WMA near the town of Faust in
Tooele County. Clover Creek Campground near Rush Valley held a lot of
activity. There were Black Throated Gray Warblers, Yellow Rumped Warblers,
Virginia Warblers, House Wrens, baby Coopers Hawks on a nest, and plenty
of passerine action near the spring. A Long Billed Curlew at Rush Lake was
fun too see. Rush Lake has excellent Mud Flats and should be watched
carefully for shorebirds. All in all it was fun to be out with a great
group of 7 people plus myself. Thank you everyone for coming.

KC Childs