MIDWAY FISH HATCHERY & JORDANELLE DAM BOR

On Tuesday, June 18, I explored the Heber Valley looking for new places to photograph.  Following the directions in Don McIvor's book, I headed for the Midway Fish Hatchery (operated by DWR), thinking it might provide a good opportunity for flight shots.

WRONG!!!

When I reached the intersection of Center St. and 850 S in Midway, I saw a sign nailed over the previous Hatchery sign saying "CLOSED TO VISITORS".  I have no idea how long the Hatchery has been closed, or whether this is just a temporary condition, but any of you thinking about a visit there should check first.  There is no mention of this in the UOS directions to birding sites in Wasatch County ( see www.utahbirds.org).

Speaking of which, it would be very helpful if some Heber Valley (or other) birder posted detailed directions to the mysterious "BOR" mentioned frequently in recent reports.   There is no mention of this spot on the Utah Birds website.

Joel Beyer kindly advised me that:

"BOR stands for Bureau of Reclamation, who established the Jordanelle Wetlands as a mitigation site."

A ranger at Rock Cliff Recreation Site (part of Jordanelle State Park and also BOR mitigation land) told me that the proper way to access the BOR below the Jordanelle Dam is to exit Route 40 (southbound) in Heber Valley at the stoplight at River Road and proceed east on Route 32 for ~1/4 mile to Old Route 40.  Then turn north and proceed past an RV camp to the end of the road, from whence you can follow Julie VanMoorhem's local directions (see BIRDNET post re American Redstart of 6/09/02).

Hope this will be helpful to some birders who, like me, are still unfamiliar with this beautiful area.

Jim McIntyre