Utah County Big Day

I was waiting for someone else to report the big day, but finally gave up so
here it is.

Birding trip on June 1, 2002 on Utah County Big Day - all over the county..

County Big Day sponsored by the Division of Wildlife Resources, Springville
Office.  Perhaps as many as 30 birders started the day at 6:00 am,
continuing all day quitting at 10:00 pm with at least 15 birders holding
out.

We started from the Springville DWR Office, went to Bridal Veil Falls up
Provo Canyon, thence to Vivian Park, then up South Fork 3 miles to the city
park, then to Salem Pond, next to the Barn Owl Silo, then to Spring Lake.
We stopped for a break in Santaquin, visited Santaquin Reservoir, drove thru
Warm Springs, then to Goshen where we went north several miles and waited
out a heavy rain and wind storm.  After the storm we visited Phil Green's
Pond (sometimes called Secret Pond) then looped back to where the storm hit
us.  Next we went west almost to Eureka where we turned onto the Dividend
Road.  Here we lost half our group, meeting them an hour later coming up as
we went down.  Rejoining forces, we returned to Goshin where we went south
into Goshen Canyon.  With the day almost over, we headed for Payson Canyon
with a stop at the Payson City Park (aka Beer Can Flat) and Maple Flat.  We
ended the day at the Payson City Park with great looks at a Western Screech
Owl.

List of birds seen:

1  Pied-billed Grebe
1  Western Grebe