Clay-colored & white-throated sparrows

On this beautiful seven-sparrow morning (Sun 4.28.02, 10:30 am) I finally
did find the CLAY-COLORED SPARROW  that Merrill spotted yesterday on the
west side of the Airport Dike in Provo. It was in a mixed flock of
white-crowned, song, Brewer's and vesper sparrows foraging low in the
weeds on the west side of the road close to the bulrushes on the shore.
They were just south of the pull-out that is by the earthen bridge
crossing the moat, about 1/2 mile from the end of the fence/beginning of
the moat.  This was on my second run of the rocky west side road,
enhanced by  a multitude of brand new muddy potholes. The first run
yielded a Lincoln sparrow and a surprise WHITE-THROATED SPARROW  at about
0.7 miles from the beginning of the moat.  Unfortunately I did not find
the black-throated sparrow that Eric and K.C. saw the other day. My
little car is not very happy with me, but it was worth a thousand
bounces.
Good birding  ~  Tuula