Broad-winged Hawk - Beaver Dam Wash

This morning (4/14), Kristen Comella and I went birding on the Beaver Dam
Wash, Lytle Ranch Area, Washington County, Utah.  We birded from 7:00 until
11:30 and the bird of the day was definately an adult light phase
Broad-winged Hawk soaring over the Lytle Ranch parking and camping area.
Kristen, Grant Jense, Mike Walters and I had great views as it soared above
us around 10:00 am.  It gave a high pitched whistle as it came into view
being harassed by a Sharp-shinned Hawk and then proceeded to soar around the
ranch house/ parking area for several minutes before we lost sight of it
down Beaver Dam Wash.  Birds were very active along Beaver Dam Wash, with
huge sparrow flocks (several hundred Brewer's Sparrows) feeding in the
willows and cottonwoods. Although, not alot of individuals were seen, we say
many species of migrants/ summer residents.  Other highlights from this
morning included Black Hawk, Brown-crested Flycatcher, two Cassin's Vireos,
and Nashville Warbler. We also stopped at the SR-91, Utah Hill antennae
site, and Black-chinned Sparrows are back and singing.

In case anyone's curious, here's a complete list of species from Beaver Dam
Wash:

Turkey Vulture
Green-winged Teal (4)
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Cooper's Hawk (nesting)
Common Black-Hawk (nesting)
Broad-winged Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Ring-necked Pheasant (likely from game farm)
Wild Turkey
Gambel's Quail
Killdeer
Spotted Sandpiper