UCB Field Trip

April 6th Field Trip ? Submitted by Julia Tuck.
On April 6th, 2002, at 6:30 a.m., we met for a quick birding trip.  I would
like to welcome the two new birders that joined us? Karen and Deloy.  We
hope to see you often.  Armed with our radios for communication, and 2
scopes, we wound our way down to the Skipper Bay Trail.  This is the path
just North of the Utah Lake State Park, on the north side of the camping
area.  The trail meanders for about a mile along the lake.
	We enjoyed each other?s company, and we observed 32 species of birds, some
due single-handedly to ?Hawkeye Huish,? who is wonderful at sighting birds
on the wing.
	Birds seen:
		Common Loon
		Eared Grebe
		Clark?s Grebe
		American White Pelican
		Double-crested Cormorant
		Great Blue Heron
		Cattle Egret
		Turkey Vulture
		Canada Goose
		Mallard
		Cinnamon Teal
		Northern Shoveler
		Gadwall
		Osprey (complete with a fish in his talons)
		Red-tailed Hawk
		American Kestrel
		Ring-necked Pheasant
		American Coot
		Kildeer
		Long-billed Curlew
		California Gull
		Loggerhead Shrike
		Black-billed Magpie
		Tree Swallow
		Black-capped Chickadee
		Mountain Chickadee
		Marsh Wren
		American Robin
		Vesper Sparrow
		Savannah Sparrow (at least 6)
		Song Sparrow
		White-crowned Sparrow
		Red-winged Blackbird
		Western Meadowlark
		Yellow-headed Blackbird
		House Sparrow

	We hope you?ll join us on our field trips.  The company?s excellent, and
the birds are always good.
	Participants:  	Alona, Bonnie, Christian, Deloy, Eric, Junece, Julia,
Karen, Lois, Milt, Reed, Robin, and Tuula.  Thanks for coming!