European Goldfinch

I was surprised to see that the European Goldfinch that I saw last year at my
backyard thistle feeder has returned.  It is a male in full breeding plumage.
 Last year, we saw it through much of the winter and as late as June.  We had
not seen it since, until today.

It appeared at 1:40 p.m. It was with a mixed flock of American Goldfinch and
Lesser Goldfinch. Although, with the Easter activities I did not get much
chance to watch it or time the number of visits.  I will do so this week, as
time permits.  Visitors are welcome.  Call me at the Wild Bird Center in
Layton during the day for directions (801) 525-8400.

Bill Fenimore
Wild Bird Center
Layton