"Odd" Sightings

<forwarded by webmaster>

From: "Alan S. Condie" <alanscondie@mstar2.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:23:02 -0800

This past weekend I have observed two odd sightings.  On Saturday,
Feb.9th, at noon, I was stopped on the Nabob ski run at Deer Valley and

had good looks at a woodpecker, 9-10 inches tall, with a solid, dark,
black back...likely female black-backed woodpecker.  Has anybody heard
of a black-backed woody drifting down from Canada during the winter?
Today, Feb. 11th, I saw the black-bellied whistling type duck at the
Kaysville Ponds, off of I-15 exit 331.  Since this bird is so far off
it's normal winter range, my medical guess is that it must have a brain

tumor or some type of metabolic disorder.  I am also wondering if it is

a hybridized species as there seemed to be a rufous color to it's face.

 Alan S. Condie