Re: [birdnet] The Redpolls of Mantua

Hugh,

Thanks for the encouraging news about the Redpolls.  I was going out
yesterday, but ended up on the AIC causeway with a small group from the
Layton Wildbird Center.  We went as far as Garr Ranch.  Saw the following
birds:

Canada Goose (looked to be wounded in the wing)
Mallard (many)
Northern Shoveler (many)
Lesser Scaup
Common Goldeneye (They were along the causeway closer to the island.  But a
beautiful male was with the Barrow's)
Barrow's Goldeneye (a beautiful female, with yellow beak) (Last bridge
before island)
Bufflehead
Ruddy Duck
Bald Eagle
Rough-legged Hawk
American Kestrel (eating a rodent)
European Starling
American Pipit (many, some in flocks)
Spotted Towhee (at Garr Ranch)
Red-winged Blackbird (on way to ranch)

We also saw a Shrike on the way to the ranch, but couldn't identify it
before it flew.

Lee Shirley and friends (3) we conducting a post-CBC.  It was nice to meet
them and be with them awhile.  The oldest Mule Deer at the ranch was very
friendly, as she walked up to our group and nuzzled a lady who works there,
who was with Lee.  I probably shouldn't have done it, but couldn't resist
scratching her forehead.  It was interesting how she recognized the lady's
voice as one of the workers at the ranch.  The lady said she (the deer)
wanted some grain.

On the way back to Fruit Heights I drove out Gentile Street in Layton and
saw several Rough-legged Hawk, plus a Great Horned Owl in a short tree to
the north of the road--just before you get to the junky trailer on the south
of the road.

Glenn