Winter Birds

My son and I made a quick trip out to Farmington Bay this afternoon and it
was unlimited snow and ice with little open water. However, on the high
tension wires crossing Grover Lane and the Interstate there was a Peregrine
Falcon digesting his last meal. On the refuge itself there was one duck
visible, period--- a female Ruddy Duck. Some of the usual birds were there
including Harriers, Horned Larks, Pipits,  a Rough-legged Hawk, and lots of
Song Sparrows and a lone Bald Eagle flying overhead.
 Much more interesting were the Layton Ponds with a nice collection of
waterfowl including about ten Hooded Mergansers. A Kingfisher and a Snipe
were also on the scene.
Happy New Year and good birding to all. Hugh Gillilan