Redpoll

I had no idea that this would be such a good sighting. I have had a lot of response to my email so I will respond to everyone here.

I went home for lunch to spend a few minutes watching my new set up. I noticed a tiny bird fluttering around my neighbors locust trees then it came down into my backyard in the bushes next to my feeders and water where I got a good look at it. At first glance I though it might be a cassins finch but it was much smaller and lighter. I checked both my National Audubon and Peterson field guides to verify my conclusion that it was a redpoll, it was a perfect match of the redpoll. It definitely was not a cassins finch or house finch. It was much lighter with the streaked markings a small red spot on the forehead. It hung around for only a couple of minutes then flew down behind the bushes where I couldn't see it any more. I waited a few minutes but had to get back to work.

I live in Woods Cross the bird was flying between yards on the block on 800 West between 1800 S and 1935 S. There are a lot of locust trees in this area as well as fruit and pine tress in backyards. Your best bet would be to watch the locust trees on the west side of 800 west. If you wanted to come to my yard you are welcome I would just appreciate a call first so I can lock up my dog. He doesn't bother birds but he is very protective if strangers try to enter the back without one of the family members. My home phone is 298-1536 if I'm not home leave a message and I will call back.
I will continue to watch my feeders and report any more sightings

Thanks Steve

PS I tried to send this e-mail to all of you yesterday but I addressed it wrong. It was dark when I got home last night and this morning there were no birds at my feeders before I left for work. Good luck to any of you that try to find it. I have been second guessing myself all night since this bird is so rare. I keep looking at all the pictures and I'm still sure it was a common redpoll.