Pacific Loon, etc.

The Salt Lake Birders headed to Cache Valley today. (Sat. Nov. 10.)   The
highlight bird was a stunning Pacific Loon on Hyrum Reservoir.  It was with
two Common Loons, so the comparison was perfect.  And, we also heard one of
the loons call.  The new Sibley behavior book (bird behavior, not people
behavior!), indicates that loons occasionally call outside of breeding
season, on "calm, foggy days."  The day was calm, the water was like glass,
and it was overcast.  That sort of fits.  Other sightings on Hyrum Reservoir
included 2 White-Winged Scoters, 1 Black Scoter, a Red-Breasted Merganser,
and numerous grebes.  The pond at First Dam was very low, but yielded a
female Common Merganser and two Barrow's Goldeneyes.  The ponds at 20th So.
and 20th W. in Logan, were a hangout spot for a nice raft of Wigeons, as
well as a couple of Buffleheads.  It's nice to see the ducks back in colors.
 The pond just north of Willard Bay SP had 3 late-staying Greater Yellowlegs
and several Bonaparte's Gulls.
Note:  SL Birders sends condolences to Letitia, our president, upon the
death of her mother this past week.  Our thoughts are with you, Letitia.
Carol