Red-shouldered Hawk in Washington Fields

This evening (10/12) from 5:30 - 6:15, Kevin Wheeler and I watched a
juvenile (first year) Red-shouldered Hawk in the Washington Fields.  The
hawk was sitting on a fence post in the field west of the 3000 East, 2000
South intersection. It then flew into the large cottonwood tree in the field
to the north. I believe it was the California subspecies (white crescents at
wingtips, boldly banded tail), however its head and breast more closely
resembled the picture of the Eastern first year bird in the Sibley guide.
Other interesting birds in Washington County this week include a first year
Short-billed Dowitcher at the SR-9 Sewer ponds (10/11) and a pair of Common
Terns at Quail Creek (10/6 - 10/11).

Rick Fridell