ruff!!

Dana Green and I saw a juvenile Ruff at the end of Glover Lane
today at about 1:30.  It is unmistakable even to me who had never
seen one.  Mark Stackhouse confirmed it.  It was on the south end
of the water nearest the road just after you turn north--on the
east side of the dike.  Its back feathers are sticking up in a
really unusual appearance, but apparently this is typical of Ruffs.
Hope everyone gets it.  Mark says it's a first record for the
state.

At Farmington we also got a Pectoral Sandpiper.  The gate is open
and you can drive to the south end now.  It was at the very south
end of the dike on the west side  near the parking lot on the west
side of the dike road.

Fielding-Garr Ranch at Antelope Island:  Warblers: Townsend's
(several males in beautiful plumage), Nashville, Orange-crowned,
Yellow-rumped, Wilson's, and McGillivray's;  Vireos:  Cassin's,
Warbling, and Red-eyed; Thrushes: Hermit and Varied;  Empids:
Western Wood-pewee, Olive-sided, and Willow;  Wrens:  House, Marsh,
and Winter (east of the ranch house where the stumps have been
placed for seating--down low in the marshy area); a Prairie Falcon
(after you turn onto the road that leads to the ranch).

It was an absolutely beautiful day and very exciting!!

Good birding everyone,

Julie