Southern Utah.

In hopes of providing a bit of balance to all the "northern" birders, I
offer the following:

I moved to SunRiver St. George (key "word", St. George) last April. This
600 acre retirement community is located south of Bloomington, hence
south of St. George, on the Virgin River and lies at the mouth of the
Virgin River Gorge. I suspect it to provide spectacular birding as the
migration continues to build.

I have been birding the SunRiver community and golf course (with several
lakes) since mid June. I currently have identified 47 species. The
following may prove of some interest:

    American White Pelican - 61, on the large pond, plus one dead one.
    Great Egret - 2, seen the day the front passed through breaking our
heat: 9/6/01.
    Green Heron
    Cinnamon Teal - 10, just this evening (9/8/01)
    Redhead
    Bufflehead
    Sora - also this evening, running through the teal on the shore of a
marsh.
    Spotted and Leasts Sandpipers
    Wilson Phalarope(s)
    Forester's Tern(s)
    Belted Kingfisher
    Say's Phoebe - nesting with young
    Cassin's Kingbird - oh so many, pooping all over the patio
furniture. Most are gone now, replaced
        by Black Phoebe's :-)

Am I a serious birder, yes. Am I good at it... well, that's for you to
decide. I have worked with Ella Sorenson, Bob Walters, Dennis Shirley,
Steve Hedges, Merrill Webb and others on the 1983 "Utah Bird
latilong. I was a member of the now defunct Utah Field Ornithologists,
plus I am a past president of the Utah chapter of the Audubon Society,
before it broke up into its current smaller segments. So I've had some
pretty strong mentors. I only wish I were as good.

Happy trails...

Bill Hunter